Friday, May 27, 2011

I Already Danced


When Katie turned 3, I was excited to start her in some kind of dance class. I figured she would love it and would be beyond eager to get to class each week. That just didn't happen.

The first class we tried she jumped right in and I figured that was that. I was snapping photos, already imagining the story of her first class that I was going to write about in her baby book. Years later, when she became a prima ballerina, she could look back at the first day and smile. Fifteen minutes in she was ready to leave.

The rest of the week I spoke about ballet class, hoping she would have changed her mind. I suggested maybe we try again the next week. Her response was "I already danced." She didn't want to talk about it anymore. I think I may have been too eager. She smelled my desperation.

Recently I heard about a new dance school opening up around the corner. I decided to play it cool. I mentioned that there was a "Princess Party" going on nearby and would she like to go check it out. She was on board! I was very careful not to mention the words "dance" or "class" or make a big deal of it.

On the day of the "Princess Party" she was excited to go. I have to say I was getting a little nervous when she started talking about the cake at the party. Somehow she forgot about it though and had a wonderful time -- dancing and twirling, playing with wands and waving scarves, she did it all. By the time it was over, a whole hour later, she was hooked. I signed her up and then kept quiet until the next week.

Now, a month later, she stands waiting at the door in her fancy clothes, ready for the little outing that is all for her. And she loves it. She even calls it dance class now, at which I just smile and keep my mouth shut.

1 comment:

  1. Death wish for parent dreams ... a parent's excitement for any class. Thanks for the morning giggles. I can relate to all ... I have to play cool for everything ... "Sure I don't mind if you don't go to that class even though I just paid a kidney for it." ~ Good times and go Katie ... enjoy the "princess party."

    ReplyDelete